Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cal-i-forn-i-a!

We just spent the weekend in L.A/Hollywood and had such a blast! Todd's mom has a super nice apartment in North Hollywood, or NoHo, and so we went for Labor Day weekend with Todd's mom, sister and a couple of her friends.  The apartment is located so close to everything! We were able to do a lot of stuff in such a short amount of time.  There aren't a lot of pictures though because I lost my camera and can't find it anywhere!  We got in Friday night around 10, we hit traffic so it took a little bit of time to get there, especially L.A traffic on a Friday night! The next morning we went to one of our favorite breakfast spots, which we go to every time we visit, called Porto's.  If you are ever in Hollywood, you HAVE to check it out.  They have amazing sandwiches and the best pastries, including a huge pastry case that is filled with everything you could imagine, and its cheap!  After that, we headed down to the fashion district.  This was by far a place that everyone needs to go! It isn't very clean and it kind of reminded me of a swap meet, but it was so cool! It is miles and miles long of clothes, purses, shoes, accessories, and fabric.  We went on Friday and I got 7 shirts, all for $6 each! I will post a picture of them, they had a ton of cute ones and they were everywhere! I also got a cell phone case, some sunglasses and a backpack/purse.  Todd was able to find 2 new church/business suits, both for under $200! They are super nice and he is excited to wear them! We went back on Monday before we left and still weren't able to see the whole district, we didn't see any fabric at all because we got tired of walking.  We had such a fun time and I would recommend it to anyone! I will post a picture of all the things we bought as soon as I find my camera!  That night we went to Hollywood Blvd...which is where the Chinese Theater and El Capitan Theater are located.  We saw some of the stars handprints at the Chinese Theater and then the stars on the walk of Hollywood.  This is an interesting place to go because there are many different types of people.  The funny thing is that people dress up as famous people, such as Batman or Marilyn Monroe, and if you take a picture with them you have to pay them.  I guess you have to make a living somehow! We also got to go to the Guinness Hall of Records and the Hollywood Wax museum.  Both were cool but I don't know if I'd go again, it was kind of a one time thing! We ate at California Pizza Kitchen on a 2 story and were able to see all of Hollywood including the Capital Records building.  On Sunday we went to a ward in Studio City and were able to see Jon Heder, aka Napoleon Dynamites' twin brother! He is in the ward there and I was going to get a picture, but we were at church and we were sitting in front of him so it wouldn't of worked out.  What was funny though was that he was speaking that day! We couldn't stop laughing because he sounds exactly like his brother...its a little freaky actually.  After church we went down to Venice Beach...WOW...if you haven't been there, you want to go just to experience it!  There are so many different types of people, vendors, and places to eat.  It was fun just to see all the weird things people were selling and wearing.  Todd got to be part of a street act, he was in a group of about 7 people and some guy jumped over all of them! It was very cool to see.  That night we stayed inside and at midnight we tried to go to this famous hot dog place called Pinks.  We had tried to go there on Saturday but we got in line and someone said it was a 2 hour wait, just to get a hot dog, so we left.  So we thought on Sunday/Monday night at 12:30 it wouldn't be busy...NOPE! Still a 2 hour wait.  We'll have to try it some other time! Monday we went on a tour of Warner Brothers studios! Also a must see if you're in Hollywood! It was so cool and we were able to see a ton of sets from Friends, Gilmore Girls, Pushing Daisies, ER, and the original Bat Mobile! We went into sound stage 16, which is the worlds tallest sound stage, and it is HUGE! They have filmed tons of movies in it, including Goonies and the Perfect Storm because it houses water easily to film water scenes.  It was amazing to see all the sets and props they use.  We were also able to go to the WB museum, where we saw the costumes and props from the Dark Knight, Miss Congeniality, Willy Wonka, and a TON of Harry Potter.  It was a lot of fun and I would love to do it again! After that we headed to the fashion district again and then headed for home! We had such a fun weekend and packed in so much! I did borrow my mother-in-laws camera for the WB tour so I will post those as soon as I load them!

5 comments:

PMClan said...

WOW!!! What a FUN weekend you had! Sounds like such a blast! That would be cool to see TV sets.
I've been to Venice Beach and it def. has a variety of diff. people!

Lizzie said...

a guy i that I used to health coach asked me if he had my persmission to eat a hot dog from
pink's. He told me all about it. Sounds pretty good

Kristin said...

How Freaking Fun! I've never thought about going to Hollywood for vaca, but I'm sold. We're going. That's nice though, that you had a free place to stay. We always end up in Mission Viejo or San Diego because that's where the fam lives, but shoot. Hollywood sounds like it's worth the hotel!!

Beeswax said...

I used to go to the Garment District (that's what they used to call it, back in ye olden days of yore) when I was little and we'd get Gunne Sax dresses on the cheap. And I LOVED Gunne Sax dresses.And then in junior high, I'd go there and get Guess and Esprit and Bongo. And then, I haven't been there since.

Sounds fun!

The Bowyer Family said...

How fun!! I can't believe how much fun stuff you guys got to do! I must say I'm very jealous!